The Newman Center is your home away from home! Serving over 12,000 Catholic Huskies at the University of Washington, Newman has been an oasis of faith, fun and friends since 1908. Our patron, John Henry Cardinal Newman, was a great advocate of the Catholic student, and it’s been our mission since 1908 to follow in his footsteps. Working hand in hand with our Dominican priests and staff, our student leaders offer you a myriad of programs and activities, all in a diversified service to bring you closer to Christ, develop life-long friendships, and show you that you are the future leaders of our Church and world!
And there’s a ton of things for you to do: life changing retreats, sports, community service projects, evangelization, lectures and education events, dances and parties, freshmen group, multicultural events, Bible studies, dorm activities, and of course, the Sacraments – just to name a few!
If you’re interested in keeping in touch with Newman, consider registering. The more we know about you, the better we can serve you. This is your ministry, so be sure to reach out to the staff or student leaders if you need anything at all.
You can find more details about the upcoming VERITAS events at our Facebook Page
- Retreats: Join your fellow undergrads in quarterly retreats to grow in your faith and develop a strong community! More info found here.
- Small Groups: Our VERITAS ministry currently has over 25 small groups, each focusing on a different spiritual or intellectual aspect of our faith while simultaneously developing strong friendships and personal prayer in a group of 4-6 undergrads! If you're interested in joining a small group, email email@example.com or fill out the small group survey found here
- Service Projects: Our Social Justice team hosts frequent opportunities for community service! Interested? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Facebook page for up-to-date info on what the SJ team is doing!
- Alternative Spring Break trip: During Spring Break, the Newman Center takes a group of 20-30 students to do a week-long service trip in various parts of WA. Interested in getting involved? Contact Bayli for more information.
- Student Ministry Team: Interested in serving the Newman Community? Each year, we have a team of undergraduates that form our Student Ministry Team. For one year, members of our SMT serve the community by focusing on one of these core aspects of our Newman Center: Freshman Outreach, VERITAS Undergraduate Ministry, Social Justice, Fellowship, Liturgy, Sports, Evangelization and Outreach, and Multi-Cultural Outreach. Applications for SMT open in the Spring, and teams are chosen by the end of the academic year. Don't worry- if you weren't able to apply this year, contact Bayli and let her know how you would like to be involved!
The Newman Center has a long history at UW!
Take some time to explore the website and learn more about how Newman can serve you. Consider reading some of the Newman profiles to get a sense of what other students think about Newman. College is defined so often by the big questions we have – about life, the world, our purpose, faith, etc. – it’s important to Newman that we help you find the answers you’re looking for.
Remember the words of Cardinal Newman:
“God has created me to do Him some definite service. He has committed some work to me which He has not committee to another. I have my mission. I may never know in this life, but I shall be told it in the next. I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons. He has not created me for naught. I shall do good. I shall do his work. I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place while not intending it – if but I keep his commandments.”
 A Report of Findings from CARA’s Catholic Campus Ministry Inventory, September 2003, Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA), Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. Report indicates 28%-38% of students at Western US universities are Catholic.